The Appalachian Writing Project, a member of the National Writing Project, is open to all teachers, guidance counselors, and administrators who have current licenses and are currently employed in a school division in far Southwestern Virginia and Eastern Tennessee are eligible to apply. Teachers in the areas of science, math and history are especially encouraged to apply, though applicants in all subject areas will be considered. Applications will be accepted through the first week of February.
Outstanding applicants are invited to the ISI to continue research in writing pedagogy, engage in creative and professional writing and collaborate with other teachers. Benefits include valuable resource materials and a choice of either graduate credit or a stipend. Graduates will become Teacher Consultants with the AWP, trained to provide in-service workshops in their respective subject areas.
Institute fellows may be K-college teachers from all content areas currently employed in a teaching position. During the institute, fellows are engaged in the following:
* Researching theory and practice in teaching writing
* Exploring and presenting successful approaches to teaching writing and using writing to teach
* Developing their own writing
* Looking at resources and technologies that assist writing instruction
Anyone who is interested in becoming a teacher consultant with a writing project site, but who does not live in the southwest Virginia or east Tennessee regions, please follow this link to find a near-by WP site: http://www.nwp.org/cs/public/print/doc/findasite/completelist.csp.
AWP SUMMER INSTITUTE APPLICATION
ACCEPTANCE is by invitation only. Candidates must apply, be interviewed, and be invited into the program. Fellows will be notified within three weeks following the interview.
TO APPLY : Please send the following information electronically. We prefer electronic submissions saved in .doc or .pdf format and
attached to your email.
• One-page resume
• Letter of intent: 1-2 page typed letter explaining your interest in the Summer Institute and how it can benefit you, your colleagues, and your students. Also, please
include a brief summary of a best teaching practice (with a focus on writing in your content) that you would like to develop into an in-service for teachers.
• One letter of recommendation from an administrator (may also be sent via email directly to Hope Cloud)
EMAIL APPLICATION AND REQUESTED DOCUMENTS TO: email@example.com.